National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement C502
Genetic differentiation between the subspecies/species results in various forms of reproductive barriers. Such genetically based barriers lead to reproductive isolation, which prevent gene flow between populations. Reproductive isolation is both the indicator and a primary force of speciation, playing a key role in maintaining species identity. The major interest is reproductive isolation and population differentiation in rice, which is in close relationship with utilization of heterosis in hybrid rice. The research areas include functional genomics, evolution and population genetics.
Rice Heterosis Lab
Sep 2003 - Dec 2008 Ph. D. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China.
Sep 1999 - Jun 2003 B. S. Biological Science, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China.
Sep 1999 - Jun 2003 B. A. English, English Department, College of Foreign Language, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China.
Nov 2015 – present Professor, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China.
Jan 2013 – Nov 2015 Associate Professor, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China.
Mar 2012 - Mar 2013 Visiting Scholar, Department of Ecology and Evolution, The University of Chicago, Chicago, USA
Mar 2011 - June 2014 Research Associate, National Key laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China.
Mar 2009 - Dec 2012 Lecturer, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China.
2. Ouyang Y*, Understanding and breaking down the reproductive barrier between Asian and African cultivated rice: a new start for hybrid rice breeding (2019) Sci China Life Sci, 62: doi.org/10.1007/s11427-019-9592-6
3. Li G, Jin J, Zhou Y, Bai X, Mao D, Tan C, Wang G, Ouyang Y*, Genome-wide dissection of segregation distortion using multiple inter-subspecific crosses in rice (2019) Sci China Life Sci, 62(4): 507-516
4. Zhang L*, Ren Y*, Yang T, Li G, Chen J, Gschwend AR, Yu Y, Hou G, Zi J, Zhou R, Wen B, Zhang J, Chougule K, Wang M, Copetti D, Peng Z, Zhang C, Zhang Y, Ouyang Y, Wing RA*, Liu S*, Long M* (2019) Rapid evolution of protein diversity by de novo origination in Oryza. Nat Ecol Evol 3 (4):679-690
5. Sun S, Wang L, Mao H, Shao L, Li X, Xiao J, Ouyang Y*, Zhang Q*, A G-protein pathway determines grain size in rice (2018) Nature Communications, 9: 851, F1000 recommendation
6. Yao W*, Li G, Yu Y, Ouyang Y* (2018) funRiceGenes dataset for comprehensive understanding and application of rice functional genes. GigaScience 7(1): 1-9
7. Yu Y, Ouyang Y*, Yao W* (2018) shinyCircos: an R/Shiny application for interactive creation of Circos plot. Bioinformatics 34(7): 1229-1231
8. Ouyang Y*, Zhang Q, The molecular and evolutionary basis of reproductive isolation in plants (2018) J Genet Genomics 45: 613-620
9. Guo J*, Xu C*, Wu D*, Zhao Y, Qiu Y, Wang X, Ouyang Y, Cai B, Liu X, Jing S, Shangguan X, Wang H, Ma Y, Hu L, Wu Y, Shi S, Wang W, Zhu L, Xu X, Chen R, Feng Y, Du B*, He G* (2018) Bph6 encodes an exocyst-localized protein and confers broad resistance to planthoppers in rice. Nature Genetics 50: 297-306
10. Zhu C, Peng Q, Fu D, Zhuang D, Yu Y, Duan M, Xie W, Cai Y, Ouyang Y, Lian X, Wu C* (2018) The E3 ubiquitin ligase HAF1 modulates circadian accumulation of EARLY FLOWERING3 to control heading date in rice under long-day conditions. Plant Cell 30 (10):2352-2367
11. Li G*; Li X*; Wang Y; Mi J; Xing F; Zhang D; Dong Q; Li X; Xiao J; Zhang Q; Ouyang Y* (2017) Three representative inter and intra-subspecific crosses reveal the genetic architecture of reproductive isolation in rice. Plant Journal 92(3): 349-362, Cover Story
12. Sheila McCormick (2017) Discovery of new QTLs underlying hybrid fertility and reproductive isolation in rice. Plant Journal 92(3): 347-348, RESEARCH HIGHLIGHT for our work
13. Zhu Y, Yu Y, Cheng K, Ouyang Y, Wang J, Gong L, Zhang Q, Li X, Xiao J, Zhang Q* (2017) Processes underlying a reproductive barrier in indica-japonica rice hybrids revealed by transcriptome analysis. Plant Physiology 174(3): 1683-1696
14. Ouyang Y**, Li G*, Mi J*, Xu C, Du H, Zhang C, Xie W, Li X, Xiao J, Song H, Zhang Q (2016) Origination and establishment of a trigenic reproductive isolation system in rice. Molecular Plant 9(11): 1542-1545
15. Mi J，Li G，Huang J，Yu H，Zhou F，Zhang Q，Ouyang Y*，Mou T* (2016) Stacking S5-n and f5-n to overcome sterility in indica-japonica hybrid rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 129(3): 563-575
16. Zhang JW*, Chen LL*, Xing F*, Kudrna DA, Yao W, Copetti D, Mu T, Li WM, Song JM, Xie WB, Lee S, Talag J, Shao L, An Y, Zhang CL, Ouyang Y, Sun S, Jiao WB, Lv F, Du BG, Luo MZ, Maldonado CE, Goicoechea JL, Xiong LZ, Wu CY, Xing YZ, Zhou DX, Yu SB, Zhao Y, Wang GW, Yu YS, Luo YJ, Zhou ZW, Hurtado BEP, Danowitz A, Wing RA*, Zhang QF* (2016) Extensive sequence divergence between the reference genomes of two elite indica rice varieties Zhenshan 97 and Minghui 63. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113(35): E5163-E5171
17. Zhao Y*, Huang J*, Wang Z*, Jing S, Wang Y, Ouyang Y, Cai B, Xin XF, Liu X, Zhang C, Pan Y, Ma R, Li Q, Jiang W, Zeng Y, Shangguan X, Wang H, Du B, Zhu L, Xu X, Feng YQ, He SY, Chen R, Zhang Q*, He G* (2016) Allelic diversity in an NLR gene BPH9 enables rice to combat planthopper variation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113(45): 12850-12855
18. Zhao H, Yao W, Ouyang Y, Yang W, Wang G, Lian X, Xing Y, Chen L, Xie W* (2015) RiceVarMap: a comprehensive database of rice genomic variations. Nucleic Acids Res 43 (D1):D1018-D1022
19. Niu S*, Yu Y*, Xu C, Li G, Ouyang Y* (2014) Prezygotic reproductive isolation and fertility in crosses between indica and japonica subspecies. Sci China Ser C-Life Sci 44(8): 815-821
20. Zhang C, Gschwend AR, Ouyang Y, Long M* (2014) Evolution of gene structural complexity: an alternative-splicing-based model accounts for intron-containing retrogenes. Plant Physiol 165: 412-423
21. Ouyang Y, Zhang Q* (2013) Understanding reproductive isolation based on the rice model. Annu Rev Plant Biol 64: 111-135
22. Lu Z, Huang X, Ouyang Y*, Yao J* (2013) Genome-Wide Identification, Phylogenetic and Co-Expression Analysis of OsSET Gene Family in Rice. PloS one 8: e65426
23. Huang J, Zhao X, Cheng K, Jiang Y, Ouyang Y, Xu C, Li X, Xiao J, Zhang Q* (2013) OsAP65, a rice aspartic protease, is essential for male fertility and plays a role in pollen germination and pollen tube growth. Journal of experimental botany 64: 3351-3360
24. Ouyang Y*, Huang X*, Lu Z, Yao J* (2012) Genomic survey, expression profile and co-expression network analysis of OsWD40 family in rice. BMC Genomics 13: 100
25. Yang J*, Zhao X*, Cheng K*, Du H, Ouyang Y, Chen J, Qiu S, Huang J, Jiang Y, Jiang L, Ding J, Wang J, Xu C, Li X, Zhang Q* (2012) A killer-protector system regulates both hybrid sterility and segregation distortion in rice. Science 337: 1336-1340
26. Ding J, Lu Q, Ouyang Y, Mao H, Zhang P, Yao J, Xu C, Li X, Xiao J, Zhang Q* (2012) A long noncoding RNA regulates photoperiod-sensitive male sterility, an essential component of hybrid rice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109: 2654-2659
27. Du H*, Ouyang Y*, Zhang C, Zhang Q* (2011) Complex evolution of S5, a major reproductive barrier regulator, in the cultivated rice Oryza sativa and its wild relatives. New Phytol 191: 275-287
28. Li X, Gao X, Wei Y, Deng L, Ouyang Y, Chen G, Zhang Q, Wu C* (2011) Rice APOPTOSIS INHIBITOR5 coupled with two DEAD-box adenosine 5'-triphosphate-dependent RNA helicases regulates tapetum degeneration. Plant Cell 23: 1416-1434
29. Ouyang Y, Liu YG, Zhang Q* (2010) Hybrid sterility in plant: stories from rice. Curr Opin Plant Biol 13: 186-192
30. Ouyang Y*, Chen J, Xie W, Wang L, Zhang Q (2009) Comprehensive sequence and expression profile analysis of Hsp20 gene family in rice. Plant Mol Biol 70: 341-357
31. Ouyang Y, Chen J, Ding J, Zhang Q* (2009) Advances in the understanding of inter-subspecific hybrid sterility and wide-compatibility in rice. Chinese Sci Bull 54: 2332-2341
32. Chen J*, Ouyang Y*, Wang L, Xie W, Zhang Q* (2009) Aspartic proteases gene family in rice: Gene structure and expression, predicted protein features and phylogenetic relation. Gene 442: 108-118
33. Chen J*, Ding J*, Ouyang Y*, Du H, Yang J, Cheng K, Zhao J, Qiu S, Zhang X, Yao J, Liu K, Wang L, Xu C, Li X, Xue Y, Xia M, Ji Q, Lu J, Xu M, Zhang Q* (2008) A triallelic system of S5 is a major regulator of the reproductive barrier and compatibility of indica-japonica hybrids in rice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105: 11436-11441
34. Chu Z*, Ouyang Y*, Zhang J, Yang H, Wang S* (2004) Genome-wide analysis of defense-responsive genes in bacterial blight resistance of rice mediated by the recessive R gene xa13. Mol Genet Genomics 271: 111-120
National Program for Special Support of Eminent Professionals: National Program for Support of Top-notch Young Professionals
Population genetics (teaching in English), Plant science, Microscopic technique in plants, Case study in scientific research
Online course for Plant science:
Online course for Population genetics:
Biochemistry and molecular Biology