Rice is the most important crops in the world. Crown root (adventitious roots) are important components of rice root system and play essential roles in water and nutrients absorption. Our lab is interested in understanding the basic mechanisms controlling crown roots initiation, emergence and elongation and translating that knowledge into solutions for agriculture.
Ph.D. 09/2004-06/2009: Huazhong Agriculture University, 1 Shizishan Street, Wuhan, Hubei 430070, China
Major: Plant Biology
Advisor: Prof. Dao-Xiu Zhou
M.S. 09/1997-07/2000: Northwest Agriculture & Forestry University (former Northwestern Agricultural University), Yangling, Shaanxi 712100, China
Advisor: Prof. Xiaoqian Mu
B.A. 09/1992-07/1996: Shaanxi University Technology (former Shaanxi Hanzhong Normal College), Hanzhong, Shaanxi 716100, China
Major: Biology Education
12/2016-NOW Professor, Teaching and Research in Plant Science, Huazhong Agricultural University, 1 Shizishan Street, Wuhan, Hubei 430070, China. Tel: +86 27 8728 1800; Fax: +86 27 8728 7092;
03/2016-10/2016 Visitor Scholar, Cooperation research in plant metabolism with Institute of Plant Sciences Paris-Saclay (IPS2), University Paris-Saclay, University Paris-sud 11, 91405 Orsay, France. Tel: 0666490117; Fax: 33169153324
07/2009-02/2016 Associate Professor, Teaching and Research in Plant Science, Huazhong Agricultural University, 1 Shizishan Street, Wuhan, Hubei 430070, China. Tel: +86 27 8728 1800; Fax: +86 27 8728 7092;
07/2000-12/2009 Lecturer, Teaching in Botany, Huazhong Agricultural University, 1 Shizishan Street, Wuhan, Hubei 430070, China. Tel: +86 27 8728 1800; Fax: +86 27 8728 7092;
1. Lu Y, Zhou DX, Zhao Y* (2020). Understanding epigenomics based on the rice model. Theor Appl Genet. 2020 Jan 2. doi: 10.1007/s00122-019-03518-7.
2. Huang H, Ullah F, Zhou DX, Yi M, Zhao Y*(2019). Mechanisms of ROS Regulation of Plant Development and Stress Responses. Frontiers in Plant Science, 10:800
3. Zhou S, Jiang W, Zhao Y, Zhou DX. (2019). Single-cell three-dimensional genome structures of rice gametes and unicellular zygotes. Nat Plants. 2019. 5(8):795-800.
4. Cheng S, Tan F, Lu Y, Liu X, Li T, Yuan W, Zhao Y*, Zhou DX*(2018). WOX11 recruits a histone H3K27me3 demethylase to promote gene expression during shoot development in rice. Nucleic Acids Research. 46(5):2356-2369 (co- correspondence)
5. Lu Y, Xu Q, Liu Y, Yu Y, Cheng ZY, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X*(2018): Dynamics and functional interplay of histone lysine butyrylation, crotonylation, and acetylation in rice under starvation and submergence. Genome Biology, 19:144.
6. Tan F, Lu Y, Jiang W, Wu T, Zhang R, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X*(2018): DDM1 Represses Noncoding RNA Expression and RNA-Directed DNA Methylation in Heterochromatin. Plant Physiology, 177:1187-1197.
7. Zhou C, Wang C, Liu H, Zhou Q, Liu Q, Guo Y, Peng T, Song J, Zhang J, Chen L, Zhao Y, Zeng Z*, Zhou D-X*(2018): Identification and analysis of adenine N(6)-methylation sites in the rice genome. Nature Plants 2018, 4:554-563.
8. Zhang H, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X*(2017): Rice NAD+-dependent histone deacetylase OsSRT1 represses glycolysis and regulates the moonlighting function of GAPDH as a transcriptional activator of glycolytic genes. Nucleic Acids Research, 45:12241-12255
9. Zhou S, Jiang W, Long F, Cheng S, Yang W, Zhao Y*, Zhou DX*(2017). Rice homeodomain protein WOX11 recruits a histone acetyltransferase complex to establish programs of cell proliferation of crown root meristem. The Plant Cell, 29(5):1088-1104 (co- correspondence)
10. Jiang W, Zhou S, Zhang Q, Song H, Zhou DX, Zhao Y* (2017). Transcriptional regulatory network of WOX11 involved in the control of crown root development, cytokinin signals, and redox in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany, 68(11):2787-2798
11. Cheng S, Zhou D-X, Zhao Y* (2016). WUSCHEL-related homeobox gene WOX11 increases rice drought resistance by controlling root hair formation and root system development. Plant Signal＆Behavior, 11(2):e1130198
12. Tan F, Zhou C, Zhou Q, Zhou S, Yang W, Zhao Y, Li G, Zhou D-X* (2016). Analysis of DDM1 and DRM2 orthologs reveals specific features of rice DNA methylation pathways. Plant Physiology. 171(3):2041-54
13. Zhou S, Liu X, Zhou C, Zhou Q, Zhao Y, Li G, Zhou D-X* (2016). Cooperation between the H3K27me3 chromatin marker and non-CG methylation in epigenetic regulation. Plant Physiology, 172(2):1131-1141
14. Zhang H, Lu Y, Zhao Y, Zhou Dao-Xiu (2016). OsSRT1 is involved in rice seed development through regulation of starch metabolism gene expression. Plant Science. 248:28-36
15. Zhao Y*, Cheng S, Song Y, Huang Y, Zhou S, Liu X, Zhou D-X (2015). The interaction between rice ERF3 and WOX11 promotes crown root development by regulating gene expression involved in cytokinin signaling. The Plant Cell, 27(9)：2469-83
16. Li J, Zhao Y*, Chu H, Wang L, Fu Y, Liu P, Upadhyaya N, Chen C, Mou T, Feng Y, Kumar P, and Xu J* (2015). SHOEBOX modulates root meristem size in rice through dose-dependent effects of gibberellins on cell elongation and proliferation PLoS Genetics, 11(8):e 1005464
17. Chen X, Liu X, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X* (2015). Histone H3K4me3 and H3K27ME3 regulatory genes control stable transmission of an epimutayion in rice. Sciencific Report, 5:13251.
18. Liu X, Zhou S, Wang W, Ye Y, Zhao Y, Xu Q, Zhou C, Tan F, Cheng S, and Zhou D-X* (2015) Regulation of Histone Methylation and Reprogramming of Gene Expression in the Rice Inflorescence Meristem. The Plant Cell, 27(5): 4725–4736
19. Zhu N, Cheng S, Liu X, Du H, Dai M, Zhou D-X, Yang W, Zhao Y* (2015). The R2R3-type MYB gene OsMYB91 has a function in coordinating plant growth and salt stress tolerance in rice. Plant Science, 236：146–156
20. Zhang J, Tang W, Huang Y, Niu X, Zhao Y, Han Yi*, Liu Y* (2015). Down-regulation of a LBD-like gene, OsIG1, leads to occurrence of unusual double ovule and developmental abnormalities of various floral organs and megagametophyte in rice. Journal of Experiment Botany. 66(1):99-112.
21. Cheng S, Huang Y, Zhu N, Zhao Y* (2014). The rice WUSCHEL-related homeobox genes are involved in reproductive organ development, hormone signaling and abiotic stress response. Gene, 266-274.
22. Liu X, Zhou C, Zhao Y, Zhou S, Wang W and Zhou D-X*(2014). The rice enhancer of zeste[E(z)] genes SDG711 and SDG718 are respectively involved in long day and short day signaling to mediate the accurate photoperiod control of flowering time. Frontiers in Plant Science, 5:591
23. Li T, Chen X, Zhong X, Zhao Y, Liu X, Zhou S, Cheng S, Zhou D-X* (2013). Histone demethylase JMJ705-mediated remove of histone H3 lysine 27 trimethylation is involved in defense-related gene activation in rice. The Plant Cell. 25: 4725–4736
24. Zhong X, Zhang H, Zhao Y, Sun Q, Hu Y, Peng H, Zhou D-X* (2013). The rice NAD+-dependent histone deacetylase OsSRT1 targets preferentially to stress and metabolism-related genes and transposable elements. PLoS ONE. 8(6):e66807
25. Hu Y, Zhu N, Wang X, Yi Q, Zhu D, Lai Y, Zhao Y* (2013)，Analysis of rice Snf2 family proteins and their potential roles in epigenetic regulation. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 70C:33-42
26. Zhao Y，Zhou D-X*（2012）Epigenomic modification and epigenetic regulation in rice. J. Gen. Genomics. 39(7): 307-315
27. Wu J, Du H, Liao X, Zhao Y, Li L, Yang L* (2011). Tn5 transposase-assisted transformation of indica rice. Plant J. 68,186-200
28. Wu J, Du H, Liao X, Zhao Y, Li L, Yang L* (2011). An improved particle bombardment for the generation of transgenic plants by direct immobilization of relleasable Tn5 transposases onto gold particles. Plant Mol Biol. 77:117–127
29. Li C, Huang L, Xu C, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X * (2010). Altered levels of histone deacetylase OsHDT1 affect differential gene expression patterns in hybrid rice. PLoS ONE. 6(7): e21789
30. Zhao Y, Hu Y, Dai M, Huang L, Zhou D-X*(2009). The Wuschel-related homoeobox gene WOX11 is required to activate shoot-borne crown root development in rice. Plant Cell. Vol.21:736-748
31. Hu Y，Qin F, Huang L, Sun Q, Li C, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X*（2009）. Rice histone deacetylase genes display specific expression patterns and developmental functions. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 388: 266–271
32. Xue W, Xing Y, Weng X, Zhao Y, Tang W, Wang L, Zhou H, Yu S, Li X, Zhang Q*(2008). Natural variation in Ghd7 is an important regulator of heading date and yield potential in rice，Nature Genetics 40:761-767
33. Dai M, Hu Yg, Ma Q, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X*(2008). Functional analysis of rice HOMEOBOX4 (Oshox4) gene reveals a negative function in gibberellin responses. Plant Molecular Biology, 66:289-301.
34. Dai M, Zhao Y, Ma Q, Hu Y, Hedden P, Zhang Q, Zhou D-X*(2007). The rice YAB1 gene is involved in the feedback regulation of gibberellin metabolism. Plant Physiol. 144:380-390.
35. Dai M, Hu Y, Zhao Y, Liu H, Zhou D-X*(2007). Rice WUSCHEL-LIKE HOMEOBOX3 (WOX3) represses YABBY3 (YAB3) expression required for shoot development. Plant Physiol. 144:121-133.
36. Dai M, Hu Y, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X*(2007). Regulatory Networks Involving YABBY Genes in Rice Shoot Development. Plant Signaling & Behavior. 5:399-400.
37. Huang L, Sun Q, Qin F, Li C, Zhao Y, Zhou D-X*(2007). Down-regulation of a silent information regulator2-related gene, OsSRT2 induces DNA fragmentation and cell death in rice. Plant Physiol. 144:1508-1519.