Plant developmental biology, especially on potato tuber development
BSc, agronomy, Huazhong Agricultural College (1978-1981);
PhD, plant molecular biology, Huazhong Agricultural University (1998-2001)
Working on potato breeding and genetics, has released more than 10 new potato varieties which are grown as main crop in south and southwest of the country. Leading a group, in recent years, focusing on potato tuber development to address crop adaptation and propagation issues, a patterned technique of microtuber production has shortened seed potato propagation cycle to only two years, while uncovering of phytochrome F in photoperiodic tuberization has riched the knowledge of potato adaptation evolution to long-day conditions. As founder of the potato functional genomics in the country, combining cellular and molecular strategies, the genes and their expression regulations involved in disease resistance, frost tolerance and tuber quality have been systematically explored that make the team as one of top activists in potato biology globally.
1. Zhou TT, Song BT, Liu TF, Shen YL, Dong LP1, Jing SL, Xie CH, Liu J. Phytochrome F plays critical roles in potato photoperiodic tuberization. The Plant Journal, 2019, 98:42–54.
2. Chen Q, Tian Z, Jiang R, Zheng X, Xie C, Liu J. StPOTHR1, a NDR1/HIN1-like gene in Solanum tuberosum, enhances resistance against Phytophthora infestans. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 2018, 496:1155-1161.
3. Kou S, Chen L, Tu W, Scossa F, Wang Y, Liu J, Fernie AR, Song B, Xie C. Arginine decarboxylase gene, associated putrescine pathway, plays an critical role in potato cold-acclimated freezing tolerance as revealed by transcriptome and metabolome analyses. The Plant Journal. 2018, 96, 1283–1298.
4. Hou J, Zhang H, Liu J, Rei S, Liu T, Xu S, Tian Z, Sonnewald U, Song B, Xie C. Amylases StAmy23, StBAM1 and StBAM9 regulate cold-induced sweetening of potato tubers in distinct ways. Journal of Experimental Botany, 2017, 68: 2317–2331, doi:10.1093/jxb/erx076
5. Liu T, Fang H, Liu J, Reid S, Hou J, Zhou T, Tian Z, Song B*, Xie C. Cytosolic glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenases play crucial roles in controlling cold-induced sweetening and apical dominance of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) tubers. Plant Cell and Environment, 2017, 40:3043-3054. doi: 10.1111/pce.13073
6. Chen L, Guo X, Wang H, Xie C, Cai X, He L, Zhou J. Liu J. Tetrasomic inheritance pattern of the pentaploid Solanum chacoense (+) S. tuberosum somatic hybrid (resistant to bacterial wilt) revealed by SSR detected alleles. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 2016, 127:315-323.
7. Liu T, Yu Y, Cai X, Tu W, Xie C, Liu J. Introgression of bacterial wilt resistance from Solanum melongena to S. tuberosum through asymmetric protoplast fusion. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 2016, 125:433-443
8. Li M, Xie C, Song B, Ou Y, Lin Y, Liu X, Zhang H, Liu J. Construction of efficient, tuber-specific, and cold-inducible promoters in potato. Plant Science. 2015, 235:14-24
9. Lin Y, Liu T, Liu J, Liu X, Ou Y, Zhang H, Li M, Sonnewald U, Song B, Xie C. Subtle regulation of potato acid invertase activity by a protein complex of StvacINV1-StInvInh2B-SbSnRK1. Plant Physiology. 2015, 168: 1807-1819.
10. Ou YB, Liu X, Xie CH, Zhang HL, Lin Y, Li M, Song BT, Liu J. Genome-Wide Identification of microRNAs and Their Targets in Cold-Stored Potato Tubers by Deep Sequencing and Degradome Analysis. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, 2015, 33(3):584-597.
11. Zhang H, Liu J, Hou J, Yao Y, Lin Y, Ou Y, Song B, Xie C. The potato amylase inhibitor gene SbAI regulates cold-induced sweetening in potato tubers by modulating amylase activity. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 2014, 12:984-993
12. Zhou J, Fang H, Shan J, Gao X, Chen L, Xie C, Liu J. A major QTL located on chromosome V associates with in vitro tuberization in a tetraploid potato population. Molecular Genetics and Genomics. 2014, 289:575-587
13. Chen L, Guo X, Xie C, He L, Cai X, Tian L, Song B, Liu J. Nuclear and cytoplasmic genome components of Solanum tuberosum + S. chacoense somatic hybrids and three SSR alleles related to bacterial wilt resistance. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 2013, 126:1661-1872
14. He L, Liu J, Torres G A, Zhang H, Jiang J, Xie C. Interstitial telomeric repeats are enriched in the centromeres of chromosomes in Solanum species. Chromosome Research. 2013, 21:5-13
15. Li M, Song B, Zhang Q, Liu X, Lin Y, Ou Y, Zhang H, Liu J. A synthetic tuber-speciﬁc and cold-induced promoter is applicable in controlling potato cold-induced sweetening. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 2013, 67:41-47
16. Li M, Wang X, Cao Y, Liu X, Lin Y, Ou Y, Zhang H, Liu J. Strength comparison between cold-inducible promoters of Arabidopsis cor15a and cor15b genes in potato and tobacco. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 2013, 71:77-86
17. Ou Y, Song B, Liu X, Lin Y, Zhang H, Li M, Fang H, Liu J. Profiling of StvacINV1 Expression in relation to acid invertase activity and sugar accumulation in potato cold-stored tubers. Potato Research. 2013, 56:157-165
18. Ou Y, Song B, Liu X, Xie C, Li M, Lin Y, Zhang H, Liu J. Promoter regions of potato vacuolar invertase gene in response to sugars and hormones, Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 2013, 69:9-16
19. Shan J, Song W, Zhou J, Wang X, Xie C, Gao X, Xie T, Liu J. Transcriptome analysis reveals novel genes potentially involved in photoperiodic tuberization in potato. Genomics. 2013, 102:388-396
20. Yu Y, Ye W, He L, Cai X, Liu T, Liu J. Introgression of bacterial wilt resistance from eggplant to potato via protoplast fusion and genome components of the hybrids. Plant Cell Repots. 2013, 32:1687-1701